Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Show

Saturday 7/23/2011 Alamodome
We traveled down to the Almodome in the Volunteer RV as part of the caravan of 5 buses and 1 tractor-trailer. The RV tows the trailer that carries the scaffolding for the drum majors, the gator and some other stuff, so we pull into equipment parking. This is were the drum corps bring their tractor trailers full of equipment, instruments and everything needed to put on these awesome shows.

The atmosphere is a little excited, but controlled, as each of the members goes and get their equipment, gets dressed and then moves off to warm-up. The pit has a ton of equipment that must be unloaded, assembled and made ready to roll into the show. The battery gets their drums and goes off to warm up, as does the brass and the color guard, each to the area of their choosing. I and some of the food volunteers used our official ID badges to good use and wandered down to the loading area of the dome. We walked right in and followed the tunnel down to the dome floor. I wanted to right on up and see what Liam would see as he walked into the dome that first time, but my Food Vol friends were a little reluctant. I went anyway. I walked down that hallway and could see a drum corps performing and I could see that there was space enough for a football field, and much more. As I walked through the door, I was greeted by the sight of this huge dome. As I looked to my right, I could see where the fans were seated in the stands in front of the performing corps. There were people as far up as I could see, they just kept going up and up into the upper levels. I was taken aback, it was an incredibly impressive and daunting sight. I slowly walked out and skirted to the right so as not to be noticeable and watched the performing corps. They were the Troopers out of Casper, Wyoming.

I started back to the tunnel and I saw that one of the Food Vols, Suzanne, had followed me out and had the same look as I did on my face - "My son is going to perform in THIS place?"

I then went on a mission to find where the brass was warming up. I walked and walked and finally found them at the very far end of the parking lot. I watched as they did a few warm-up exercises and then performed their traditional warm-up, "Rocky Point Holiday". It was very cool to see it live. They then lined up and got ready to march to the dome. I got going so I could get up to some seats before the show actually started. I got a text message from my brother-in-law and his family that they were in section 318, so I headed up there to see the show with them. The show was different from up so high, but still awesome. The brass reached right up and grabbed you, the battery pounded you and they were far down on the field. It did not seem that they noticed they were in an awesome dome in front of thousands of people. They sounded and looked great, I was proud to be associated with such a wonderful group of kids demonstrating their incredible hard work and talent.It was truly great, and no video of the performance can ever convey the incredible power and beauty of their show.

I also stayed and saw the Blue Devils show, and I just have to say, "I do not get it". They play well and move well, but not much of that happens at the same time and I do not get the houses made of plastic pipe, sorry.

Uncle Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment