Sunday, July 24, 2011

Matt's First Day on Tour

Saturday 7/23/2011
I woke this morning in my Motel 6, and the less said about that establishment, the better. I will say, however, there is a reason why they "leave the light on for you". It is the same reason cavemen and campers used to keep a campfire lit: to keep wild animals away.

After some walking and shopping, I was picked up by Abby, a lovely girl working for The Cadets in this, her first year after age out. I made my way around "Ladybird" Johnson High School and saw some old friends, Kevin, Patti, Neil and Jay, and met many new friends as well. The school is fantastic, fairly new, with great fields and lots of space. We are well taken care of here, the Baritone Tech for The Cadets works here and so they really understand what this is all about. All day yesterday member of the band from this high school were out on the field watching The Cadets practice, and the looks on their faces were priceless.

I asked Patti (head food poobah) I could take some time to see the practice sessions, check out where Liam actually goes during the show and maybe catch him for a much-needed and long overdue hug. I was able to watch some of the Brass practice and during a water break an extremely tan, tall and thin young man came up to me with a "Hey Daddy-o" and gave me a big hug. I was surprised, happy, moved and in awe of this young fellow, who just a couple of months ago was my high school age son. I am reflecting on that first conversation and kindness and I am still moved by it. We talked for a quick minute and then Liam, as is usual for him, introduced me to anyone who was nearby and really made me feel welcome within that group of young elite musicians. They took a moment to say hi while they were getting water and refreshed for the next session of practice. Later that day I was able to pass on the package of items he had asked for along with a special present his Mom sent along - a new Naval Academy baseball cap. I know she will be proud to know that he wore it to ensemble practice later that day, and it was great for me, it was so new and white that i could easily pick him out while he was out on the field.

So I did actually help with the food, we served General Tso's chicken, rice and broccoli, though all I did was help load the Cambros and help  serve. It was frozen prepared and came with a sauce, but the kids ate it up! Here is a photo of Kevin and others opening up the sauce packets while the chicken, rice and broccoli are being prepared in the mobile kitchen. We used the Cambro thermal keepers to good effect, heating the chicken in pans in the ovens and then transferring them to deeper pans and putting them in the keepers. They stayed nice and hot in the keepers and ready for serving. They make life so much easier!

Tomorrow we say good bye to some volunteers that have been with the corps many days. To each of them I say a hear felt "Thank you" for taking care of the Corps and most especially for taking care of my son, Liam!

Now, on to the show!

 Uncle Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment