Friday, July 29, 2011

Little Rock, Littler Sleep...

We arrived at Little Rock and were staying at North Little Rock High School, the site of the famous "Little Rock 9" who enrolled in the school in 1957, touching off the Little Rock Crisis. Some interesting history. This is a pretty rough school, however, and its history has not enabled it to avoid the usual ravages of a largely inner-city school. The members were able to find sleeping in the cafeteria where it was air-conditioned. We parked the Food Truck near them, and we had tight spaces, but some shade from trees were there so it was a little less hot for the members when eating.

As some of you know, and I eluded to on last evening's post, I was having a hard time at this point. I had not slept much since arriving on tour, and it started to catch up with me. I was feeling really poorly. I spoke with my very understanding and sweet wife and she gave me some very good advice that I took. She said to get some sleep! Sounds simple right, but it worked.  That day, I had been given some potassium/salt slow release pills and as the day wore on and I drank literally drank liters and liters of water and Gatorade, I started to feel much better; but still was very tired. To give you the closer right now, I was able to sleep very well on the trip to TN, and woke up feeling very much better and ready to go. As always, the kids positive attitude and incredible work ethic is an inspiration.

The practice location had a pretty good field, but getting ice became an issue, and we solved it pretty fast. After a few runs to a store by Jay and others, I decided that we needed to get access to the school ice machines, so I caught up with the security guard and sweet talked him into telling us where the ice machines were. Short story: we cleaned out the cafeteria unit and about 1/2 of the football team unit. The coach would not let us take it all because he said he had football camp the next day. We tried to explain that the unit was a 200 lb/hour and that it could refill itself before the next morning, but to no avail. We ended up having plenty, though.

I do not have many shots from that day, as I was pretty busy. I have a few from the show, which was held at War memorial Stadium in Little Rock, where we won again over The Cavaliers.




We had the nice long drive to Tennesse and the road was mostly smooth so I was able to sleep for almost the entire trip, I even slept through one of the two rest stops! Yeah!


Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment