Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Can it be Day Five?

Hard to believe that five days have gone by! The days fly by when you are this busy. Just the fact that I have been able to make a post each day means the pace has been fast but not crazy. Today started at 5:00 AM when I got up to get dressed so I could go out and help with breakfast at 5:30. Elaine and Jay were up when I got there and Jay was preparing potatoes on the flattop while Elaine was cracking eggs. Jay said he wanted to do scrambled, but I wanted to learn his omelette technique so I shamed him into making omelettes. We made plain cheese and onion, green pepper and ham. I have attached a couple of pictures of them in process.


Eggs, cheese and filling on the flat top
The omelettes are folded and ready for the hotel pan.
Today is a rehearsal day, but the corps is putting on a community show for the local folks at 7:30 PM. I will be going over to help serve the second mini-snack so i can watch the performance.

Lunch and the first snack were both served remote at the field. Lunch was ham and turkey roll ups with cheese, lettuce and mayo. I made up some more spicy mayo I named "1934 Scoville Sauce" in honor of the year the Corps was founded and the approximate heat index of the sauce. It is actually a simple mix of mayo with red pepper, Tabasco, chili powder, garlic powder and paprika. We also sent over some apple slices and chips.

First snack was breaded cheese sticks, carrots, celery, plums, tuna and chicken salads. One of the sewing ladies was able to get me 6 jars of "Chipotles in Adobo Sauce", so I made my Honey Chipotle sauce as a spicy-sweet dipping sauce for the cheese sticks. These sauces are a hit with many of the kids that like a bit of spice.

The second snack was a simple quick snack of string cheese and granola bars and cold water. I helped take it to the field so that I would be able to see the community performance. It was really great to see Liam and get a quick hug and snap a photo with him. The show was great too and the changes seem to work very well.
Me and Liam at the Rehearsal field before the Community Performance
We got back from the show just as dinner of tilapia, tater tots and salad was being served. After dinner it was time to pack up the whole circus and head to Roger Williams University where we will arrive about 2:30 AM. I am finishing this as I lay in my bunk in the bus headed down the road.
Tomorrow is a show day!

Matt

1 comment: