Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday Morning

Yesterday went by pretty fast. The kids were busy and all the volunteers we were busy getting food made and served. Breakfast was pancakes, sausage and fruit. Also the ever-present cereal, oatmeal and fruit, etc. We did have a bit of an emergency as the coffee pot was found to not be working. We had some instant coffee so that was available, but Neil volunteered to hit the Dunkin Donuts and pick up a box of coffee for the food volunteers, which was awesome.

The refer on the truck was not working so we were using coolers and ice and all that jazz. The repair guy came, found the leak, fixed it and the unit started cooling right away. Darren (the souvies man) went out and came back with a 100 cup coffee maker, and we ran a pot to test it out and the coffee was good, so we were set for Sunday morning!



For lunch, we had chicken patties with fixin's. I made my Light Tomato Bisque soup which came out well and seemed to be popular with the kids. We also had Donna's baked beans, which were delicious - she added lots of stuff and some left over hot dogs to make a really fantastic side dish.

Dinner was salad, brownies and awesome baked ziti. It is a pretty simple recipe, but turned out exceptionally well. I browned the sausage in the oven with Larry's help and Patty and the others assembled the pans and mixed the ricotta/eggs/mozzarella part while Kevin cooked the pasta. There was not too much left when dinner was done, which is awesome, as it meant the kids really enjoyed it. After I browned the meat, I was feeling so tired that I went up to rest for a bit on my mattress, and the next thing I knew it was 6:30 and time for dinner. I headed down, helped a bit, though it was all mostly taken care of by the many volunteers we had. I had my dinner then hit the food truck to help with any cleanup. We did some prep work for breakfast - we put all the bacon in pans to ready them for cooking the next morning. After that, I went on a mission to go and find where everyone was practicing. This school is huge and very confusing. I found the trumpets and the battery, but never found the low brass at all.

I checked in a the food truck again and told them I was going to bed so I could get up and help with breakfast on Sunday. I went up to the room, brushed my teeth and hit the air mattress. I did not get up until 6AM to help with breakfast. I am glad I got the needed rest, we have a long drive today.

Breakfast this morning was scrambled eggs and bacon. I cooked the bacon, which we do in the ovens in large pans. They cook for awhile and then we take the pans out and toss them around for even cooking. Patty and I like the bacon crispy, so I made sure it was all done to that level. Meanwhile, Jay and Patty were cooking scrambled eggs on the flattop. Most of the other breakfast stuff had been laid out by the other vols after snack last night, so things were ready to go.

So right now I am in the empty cafeteria listening to the pit practice for ensemble this afternoon - seems like they are going to be playing "Jump" by Van Halen, so that should be interesting/loud. Ensemble is at 1:30 and  it will probably go for 30 minute or so, so we should be getting on the road about 2:30.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment